To review the homophone spellings before the test, click on the links below:
Unit 10 page 10 - words with the sound /ar/
Unit 11 page 8 - words with the sound /er/
Unit 12 page 2
- words with the sound /air/
...the words the computer spellchecker will not spot
1) In most words the /ar/ sound is spelled ar. A few words have al or just a :
|ar as in shark||al as in palm||a as in raft|
2) The /er/ sound can be spelled ur, ir, ear, (but after 'w' - or):
|ur as in burger||ir as in shirt||ear as in earth|
|er as in person||or as in worm|
3) The /air/ sound can be spelled air, are, ear
(and the rule-breakers ere, eir):
|air as in hair||are as in square||ear as in bear|
Which of the bold words is correct?
* Skip link not available for logged in students.